Wednesday 19 December 2012

What did I learned in 2012?

It is time to draw a balance for the 2012. For PAT-ASR PhDs this was a great year, full of work and new ideas!
So, what did I learn this year? A lot of interesting knowledge about concrete and concrete matters useful for life!


About concrete matters 
  • your background forms your point of view and your point of view hides your hypotheses, which means that some times you have to defend/change/reevaluate your hypothesis!
  • it is really important how you present your work and especially how you present yourself, be open to new ideas, new critics and everything new! (it can be not so bad!).

About concrete (numerical point of view):

  • I studied Poromechanics Theory, a so amusing theory which can bridge micro and macro modeling level.
  • I studied Homogenization Theory.
  • I learned how to play with tensors and how to represent them in matrix and column vector.
  • I started to use Matlab! After a while you get why there are so many nerd people around!
About concrete (the real one):


  • I learned how to perform mechanical tests of concrete specimens in laboratory.
  • I learned how to build up a device and how many things can go wrong in once!
  • I learned how to make concrete, like construction workers do! (and for a numerical person, this is not so obvious!)
  • and I think that make concrete it is like make a cake... do you have some doubts? Than look at this:


I hope you also learned something important this year, and in general that your life and your professional life was full of great experiences! If not, don't worry there is still time!
I wish to our followers a Merry Christmas and an Happy New Year! 
See you in 2013...there is still a lot to do!

No comments: